Supreme Court Sides With Trump In USAID Funding Dispute For Now

The U.S. Supreme Court has temporarily blocked a lower court order that directed the Trump administration to release nearly $2 billion in foreign aid payments by midnight on Wednesday.

The dispute revolves around the administration’s retention of U.S. Agency for International Development funds.

According to an emergency filing by the Justice Department, the administration requires additional time to evaluate outstanding payments for fraud and abuse. The department cautioned that adhering to the expedited timeline could result in irreparable financial damage, the Washington Examiner reported.

The Supreme Court instructed the parties to submit additional responses to their chambers by Friday, without providing any commentary on the case’s merits, as per a concise order issued by Chief Justice John Roberts.

“The order does not limit its abrupt deadline to respondents’ own invoices or letters of credit, instead apparently compelling the government to pay requests from any organization that has asked for such funds,” acting Solicitor General Sarah Harris wrote.

The fight started when aid groups and contractors sued Trump over his order to stop sending money to other countries for 90 days so that the order could be looked over.

U.S. District Judge Amir Ali, who was appointed by President Donald Trump’s predecessor, Joe Biden, had already said that the freeze was illegal and had given the government until February to lift it. The plaintiffs say they still haven’t been paid, though.

Ali made a new order on Tuesday giving the administration until Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. to release the funds. He criticized officials for not following his first order. Indraneel Sur, a lawyer for the government, couldn’t say what steps were taken to process the payments during a hearing.

In Ali’s most recent decision, he told the government three times to release foreign aid funds that had been frozen after Trump told all foreign aid to stop for 90 days.

Trump asked for more time, but the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Columbia wouldn’t extend the deadline until Wednesday night at midnight. The three-judge panel said that the Trump administration has “not shown that the enforcement orders disrupt the status quo by requiring them to do anything more than they would have had to do absent the temporarily restrained agency actions, which are the subject of ongoing preliminary injunction briefing.”

Plaintiffs in the case say that Trump’s broad aid freeze, which includes the stop-work orders that stopped USAID’s work around the world, has made it impossible for people to get help.

But the administration says that the order’s broad nature—it affects all foreign aid recipients—inadvertently limits the president’s freedom and gets around normal review processes.

Related Posts

Pauley Perrette and Mark Harmon Finally Address Their Off-Screen Drama!

For years, NCIS fans have speculated about the off-screen tension between Pauley Perrette and Mark Harmon, which ultimately led to Perrette’s departure from the show in 2018. The drama…

Justin Bieber Announces He’s Selling All His Real Estate In Red States And Plans To Leave The US After Acrimonious Clash With Elon Musk.

In a surprising turn of events, pop sensation Justin Bieber has announced his retirement from music at the age of 30 and revealed plans to relocate from…

BREAKING: Heart Attack Strikes E. l o.n Musk 5 Minutes Ago

In an unexpected and alarming development, tech mogul Elon Musk reportedly suffered a heart attack just five minutes ago. According to sources close to Musk, the incident…

“Brandi Passante’s CameI T0E while Spreading Legs, See Pics Everyone’s TALKlNG

Mary Padian rose to fame on Storage Wars, captivating fans with her sharp eye for hidden treasures and vibrant personality. With a background in design and a passion…

From Hollywood’s Spotlight to a Life of Seclusion

Allen Lee Haff, best known as the charismatic co-host of Auction Hunters, once dominated the small screen with his expertise in antiques and collectibles. His natural charm and…

Elon Musk confirms fourth child with Neuralink exec Shivon Zillis, reveals name of pair’s third kid

Elon Musk confirms fourth child with Neuralink exec Shivon Zillis, reveals name of pair’s third kid No kidding. Elon Musk has revealed that he and Shivon Zillis…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *